About Me

Old Boarded Up Shop


Old Boarded Up Shop, originally uploaded by pictureinfocus.

BDOS080105_0408AA
Old Boarded Up Shop
St. Michael, Barbados
Series: Barbados Crop Over (Set 7)
(08-01-2005)


Growing up in a house with 6 women is no joke. My grandmother would always send me to the store. Salt, sugar, flour, biscuits, and other items could be bought from the neighborhood shops. But these old fashion shops are few now. I fondly remember in Ms. Cassue, (shop keeper in the Garden Land), would always give me candy every time I got stuff there for my grandmother. More often that not you would see these old shops just boarded up. This part of Barbadian island life is fast disappearing.

View the entire set.
View as slideshow.
View on Flickriver.

Post a Comment

3 Comments

  1. LOL @ "Growing up in a house with 6 women is no joke"

    I'm sure it made you a better person though, right? ;-)

    I just love those old road side shops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, no joke…LOL…

    The reality is, these shops are a thing of the past. Mini-Marts and small supermarkets are in swing now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I love my big, convenient supermarkets, BUT I do wish there was enough of a demand for specialty shops, not only in Jamaica, but in all the islands. The specialty shops could be housed in these old quaint little buildings.

    *sigh* wishful thinking of course.

    ReplyDelete