About Me

The Clock: St Ann’s Fort Signal Tower (08-04-2006)

BDOS080406_0132
The Clock: St Ann’s Fort Signal Tower
The Garrison Historic Area
Walking Into My Past
St. Michael, Barbados
(08-04-2006)


It has been a while since I left Passage Road and my water bottle is hot with the now warm distasteful water. Staying cool in this stifling heat is an adventure in it self. But, I am focusing on walking as far as Accra Beach. And carrying around heavy camera gear in the heat is not smart either.

But I am here by the Garrison Savannah and the open space and the welcoming breeze is comforting. How many kites have I flown on this ground? I cannot recollect. In my teens I live in the nearby neighborhood of Harts Gap and frequented this area to run wild. Oh what a time I had.
__

This vicinity back in the old day was called The Garrison District Area. In colonial times this was the home of The British West Indies Regiment during the 1600s and 1700s. The buildings were erected over a period of time. This historic district comprises of several buildings like the Barracks for the now Barbados Regiment, The main building that was St Ann’s Fort now the Barbados Museum & Historical Society, The Main Guard building, and the George Washington House where the American president came in 1751 to see his bother that was sick at the time.

Somewhere beneath the St. Ann’s Fort is a vaulted area housing some of the oldest cannons in the world. It collection boast one the two remaining Cromwell Republican arms canons (circa 1652) in existence. Over 400 cannons have been unearthed in Barbados and some are on display outside the Fort.

The green lust field which held many military parades is now the Garrison Savannah, an international horse racing venue. This is located within the Garrison Historic District. The biggest horse racing event held here is the Sandy Land Gold Cup.

View all the images in this Garrison Historic Area set:

The Clock: St Ann’s Fort

The Garrison: St Ann’s Fort
Cannon: Guard the Garrison
Garrison Savannah: The Painted Cannon
Garrison Savannah Cannons
The Barracks at the Garrison (Barbados Regiment)
The Garrison Savannah (Horse Racing)
The Garrison Savannah (Barbados Turf Club)

__

Ok now, enough history, I am on the move. I am pushing hard up the coast. My next stop is wherever my feet fancy. Come along and bring you own water.

View the entire set.

Post a Comment

0 Comments